Very Tangy and unlike the name - not bitter at all! Do try it and am sure you are going to like this. This is a great way to serve bitter gourd to children.
- 1 Medium sized Bitter Gourd
- 2 tbsp Tamarind Paste (I have used Mother's brand)
- 1.5 tbsp jaggery
- 1 tsp Red chili powder
- 1 tsp Rasam powder
- A pinch Turmaric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida (Hing)
- Few Curry Leaves
- 2 dried red chilis
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and asafoetida.
- When seeds crackle, add dried red chili and curry leaves .
- In a small bowl mix together tamarind paste , jaggery , red chili powder , rasam powder, turmeric powder and little water. Mix well.
- Add this mixture to the pan.
- Add finely chopped bitter gourd pieces, coriander leaves , salt and cook with lid covered till they are soft.
- Add 1 cup of water and cook with lid covered for 5-6 minutes.
- Serve hot with rice, papad and pickle.
- After chopping the bitter gourd , sprinkle some salt and keep them aside. Salt will take the bitterness away. you can squeeze the salt water and use the bitter gourd.
- You can add some coconut milk at the end and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.