A blend of masoor with tamarind to create an aromatic and tangy dish for occasions when you crave something chatpata. Let me know how it turns out for you :)
- 1/4 cup masoor dal, pressure cooked
- 5 pods of garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 2 cloves
- 1/2 tsp jeera (cumin seeds)
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1 small tamarind (imli) pod
- 1/2 green chili
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 1 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
- Soak the tamarind in water for 10 mins.
- Make a paste with garlic, cumin seeds, green chilli, ginger cinnamon and the tamarind along with the water it was soaked in. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and hing. Once mustard seeds start to crackle , add the paste, salt and turmeric powder.
- Mix well and cook on low flame till oil separates. See picture below.
- Now add the cooked massor dal in the gravy.
- Cook on a low flame for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle garam masala and mix well.
- Ready to serve
- Serve hot with roti or rice