This is a classic tandoor dish which is almost everyone's favorite. I love it too and always used to think that you cannot make it without an oven or a tandoor. But here is my attempt at making it without an oven and it turned out yummmmy. Hope you will enjoy as much as I did.
- 250 gm paneer (cottage cheese)
- 1 cup curd
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 3 tsp oil
- salt to taste
- Whisk the curd till it is smooth.
- Add salt, chilli powder, garam masala powder, ginger garlic paste and mix well
- Cut paneer into slices or cubes as you prefer.
- Prick the paneer cubes with a fork on both the sides.
- Now add these to the curd. Mix well and set it aside for 1 hour.
- Now the paneer should be well marinated.
- Heat a tawa (pan) on a medium flame. Once heated, grease it with oil and place the paneer as shown below in the picture.
- Keep the heat on a low flame. Make sure you check often so it does not get burnt.
- Cook on both the sides till it is crisp.
- Ready to serve.
Serve as a snack or a starter along with lemon slices, sliced onions and green chutney.
- Do not cover the tawa with a lid.
- You can get a grilled feel by cooking it a bit longer. Just make sure it does not get burnt.
- I have used a non stick tawa. If you are not using a non-tick tawa, you will need more oil.