1 cup whole ural dal
1/4 cup rajma
whole garam masala - bay leaf, cloves, cardemom, cinnamon
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
3 medium sized tomatoes ( made in a puree )
3 tsp oil to cook
2 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp kasoori methi
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp cream (optional, you can add along with butter to make it more creamy)
Salt to taste
- Clean and wash whole ural dal and rajma.Soak dal and rajma overnight.
- Presure cook dal and rajma with few drops of oil, pinch of hing and salt. Cook till tender. ( number of whistles depend on cooker type and size ).
- Once done, slightly mash the dal.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Add whole garam masala. Add ginger garlic paste and fry till golden brown.
- Add tomato puree. Cook for 5 minutes.Now add cumin powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder and kasoori methi.
- Cook on a low flame with lid covered till the oil separates.
- Add butter.
- Now add the dal and rajma mixture. Add half a cup of water.Cook it for 20-30 minutes with the lid covered on a low flame.
- Garnish with cream.
Can be served with rice, parathas, kulcha or rotis.
- Dal mkahani can be made in many ways. Instead of whole garam masala, you can use any ready garam masala or Catch Dal Makhani masala - which goes very well
- Cook the dal for a long time for best taste.